Carl is a co-founder and partner of David ID. His passion is helping companies find their Dominant Selling Idea, and bringing it to life in the marketplace. Running companies, serving on boards, and leading client branding efforts has provided Carl with a unique perspective as both a marketer and businessperson—which is why his goal with every client is the same: creating unique, powerful brands in service of tangible business goals.
Highlights prior to founding David ID:
- Prior to founding David ID in 2003, Carl was CEO of Einson Freeman, a leading marketing services subsidiary of WPP, and Global Director at D’Arcy, Masius, Benton & Bowles responsible for many of the company’s global Procter & Gamble and Mars brands.
- During the collapse of the Soviet Bloc, Carl helped establish the first Western advertising agency offices behind the former Iron Curtain. In 5 years, he built profitable offices in seven countries employing over 500 people, serving multinational clients such as Coca-Cola, Philips, Procter & Gamble, and ING Bank as well as local national clients.
- Carl is the co-author of Why Johnny Can’t Brand: Rediscovering the lost art of the big idea published by Portfolio Books. It was selected by Strategy + Business magazine, published by Booz, Allen, Hamilton, as one of the five best marketing books of 2006.
- He is an Operating Director at Solera Capital LLC, and on the Board of Directors of Fox Racing Shox, Liberty Safes, ERGObaby, and Deep River Snacks.
- Carl is frequent and popular speaker at conferences and companies on the subject of branding
He is also the author of What I Didn’t Know Could Fill a Book: a real world perspective for young adults, and The Encounter, a suspense novel.
- He graduated from the University of California, Santa Cruz, with a BA in Economics.